Alejandro Freund is an Ecuadorian entrepreneur who started YaEsta.com, Ecuador’s most influential ecommerce company. Listen to his story on the Crossing Borders podcast.
Outline of This Episode
- [1:44] What it’s like to do ecommerce in Ecuador.
- [6:22] Closing the deal with a small business supporter to build out the company.
- [8:54] How the team decided which products and brands to launch with.
- [12:42] Tapping into the artisan communities surrounding their suppliers.
- [15:30] Fundraising after a successful trial-and-error first year.
- [20:27] Understanding Ecuador as a country and as a place to do business.
- [22:22] Why are the big retailers in Ecuador so far behind those in other countries.
- [35:16] Dealing with the logistics and shipping in Ecuador.
- [41:08] The reasons Alejandro decided to return to Ecuador to build a company.
- [45:55] Why Alejandro believes he’s been able to raise the funds he has.
- [52:00] Advice for other entrepreneurs getting into competitive markets.
- [56:00] Why yield is a great reason to invest in Latin American companies.
- [59:32] Surprising things about doing business in Ecuador.
- [1:00:45] Alejandro’s advice to himself as a beginning startup founder.
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect With Nathan
If you enjoyed this episode – would you mind subscribing and leaving a rating and review?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE, AND REVIEW ON iTunes
SUBSCRIBE, RATE AND REVIEW ON Stitcher