Originally from Colombia, Andres Barreto has cofounded and sold multiple tech companies in the US. He came back to Colombia and moved to the other side of the table to start Social Atom Ventures, which has now morphed into Firstrock Capital. Like Magma, invest in companies companies with LatAm tech teams, but whose primary market is the United States.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:03] Andres Barretto, Colombian entrepreneur turned venture capitalist.
- [2:12] The types of companies Andres’ fund is looking to invest in.
- [4:15] Why it’s advantageous for US companies to use Latin American engineers.
- [9:09] Andres’ three-part test for startups.
- [11:00] What Andres says to Latin American entrepreneurs who are intimidated by entering the US Market.
- [14:12] How Andres moved to the US initially.
- [19:50] The ignorant notions US companies must overcome.
- [31:34] Why Latin American VCs are missing Latin American market deals.
- [43:37] Andres’ advice to entrepreneurs in Latin America considering US Markets.
- [48:33] The top mistakes startup founders make when pitching to VCs.
- [54:41] Andres’ advice to beginning entrepreneurs and beginning VC investors.
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect With Nathan
If you enjoyed this episode – would you mind subscribing and leaving a rating and review?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE, AND REVIEW ON iTunes
SUBSCRIBE, RATE AND REVIEW ON Stitcher