Diego Saez Gil is an Argentine entrepreneur who is the cofounder of Bluesmart, the world’s first smart luggage. After doing a $2.2m presale on Indiegogo, Diego and his team have raised multiple rounds of venture capital from investors in Latin America, China and the US.
Outline of This Episode
- [2:25] The life of a founder whose offices are all over the world and how he took his path.
- [8:00] The culture shock of leaving his home and traveling to business centers around the world.
- [11:54] Diego’s 2011 start of a new business – WeHostels.
- [16:43] The advice Diego gives to startup founders about building a team.
- [20:25] Growing a startup app company in a very competitive market – and the process of selling the company.
- [23:34] Two years later: Crowdfunding a new product successfully – $2.2M raised.
- [26:28] How the team made the crowdfunding attempt successful.
- [30:44] Diego’s response to those who say there’s not much talent in Latin America.
- [35:24] How to keep an international team of 39 working together smoothly.
- [38:07] Why Diego went to Ycombinator even after a successful crowdfunding launch.
- [47:04] The features and details of Bluesmart luggage.
- [49:14] Tips for those interested in building a hardware company, including tips for doing business in China.
- [51:29] Surprising things about Latin America and China.
- [55:53] What Diego says to U.S. Investors about doing business with Latin American companies.
- [1:00:32] Changes in the Argentinian government in relation to entrepreneurship.
- [1:01:50] Diego’s advice to himself at the beginning of his startup journey.
- [1:05:00] Learning to take expert advice but staying focused on innovation.
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect With Nathan
If you enjoyed this episode – would you mind subscribing and leaving a rating and review?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE, AND REVIEW ON iTunes
SUBSCRIBE, RATE AND REVIEW ON Stitcher